Farnell expands Power Integrations portfolio with InnoSwitch3
Farnell has strengthened its portfolio of Power Integrations products to include the InnoSwitch3 IC family, featuring PowiGaN technology.
This new product offering will increase the number of GaN-based solutions available from Farnell to support design engineers developing new products that require greater energy efficiency.
Power Integrations’ PowiGaN technology reduces switching losses, enabling chargers, adapters and open frame power supplies to be more efficient, smaller and lighter than conventional silicon alternatives.
PowiGaN-based ICs have been able to achieve up to 95 percent efficiency across the full load range and up to 100W in enclosed adapter implementations without requiring a heatsink. Common applications include:
- Auxiliary, standby and bias power supplies for appliances and white goods
- Computers and consumer products
- Utility meters
- Smart grid
- Industrial power supplies
The InnoSwitch3 product family features EcoSmart energy efficiency, ensuring devices can meet global energy efficiency regulations. All products in the portfolio incorporate multiple protection features including line overvoltage and under-voltage protection, output overvoltage and over-current limiting, and over-temperature shutdown. InnoSwitch3 products now available from Farnell include:
- The InnoSwitch3-EP family simplifies the design and manufacture of flyback power converters, particularly those requiring high efficiency and/or compact size. It combines primary and secondary controllers and safety-rated feedback into a single IC. Devices are available with standard and peak power delivery options, and commonly used auto-restart protection behaviours.
- The InnoSwitch3-Pro family enables the development of fully programmable, highly efficient power supplies in compact enclosures. The universal I²C interface aids dynamic control of output voltage and current, along with many configurable features. Telemetry provides reporting of programmed features and fault modes. InnoSwitch3-Pro ICs are ideal for AC-DC power supply applications where fine output voltage and current adjustment are necessary.
- The InnoSwitch3-CP family incorporates a high-voltage primary-side switch, primary and secondary controllers, and safety-rated feedback into a single IC. These devices offer a constant power profile and support the common combinations of latching and auto-restart behaviours required by applications such as quick charge and USB PD designs. The devices are available with and without cable-drop compensation.
InnoSwitch3 ICs are also available without PowiGaN technology, combining primary, secondary and feedback circuits in a single surface-mounted off-line flyback switcher IC.
Commenting Lee Turner, Global Head of Semiconductors and Single Board Computing, at Farnell said, “Power Integrations range of highly integrated chips have the potential to eliminate millions of electronic components from AC-DC power supplies, gate drivers and LED lights while improving the efficiency of end-products. InnoSwitch3 ICs enable our customers to design products that can achieve efficient transmission and consumption of power in applications ranging from milliwatts to megawatts.”